Saturday, July 10, 2010

Melancholy moments

I've struggled for a week whether to say it out loud or not...and there really isn't a soft way to tell the world what it's like to lose a parent. 

My father-in-law passed away one week ago. We had waited for the call and knew it would come, but when it did--well, what can I say? It hurts like hell.


When I first met my in-laws, it was Dad (Bill) who held his arms out to me and said, "come here, my girl, let's take a look at you." He hugged me like a father would and then mom did the same. Dad cared, loved, and made me laugh just like I was his own daughter from the get-go. I have been so very blessed to have had him (and my mom-in-law) in my life. 

He always sent me those silly jokes by the dozen every single day for the last several years--and as of last week, they quit coming. Then on Friday, July 2nd, Dad passed away gently in his sleep. We were with him.


There is so much more I can say, but I'm not ready to share the personal side --

I know he's doing great now! No more suffering! That one thought makes me smile. 

Love you Dad,
Cherri 

No comments:

Post a Comment